Have you ever asked yourself, What can I do to get motivated? How can I get all the stuff I have to do, done? What am I doing wrong? Why won't it all work? If you try hard enough you will find more and more excuses to help you not to succeed. These days, it seems that self motivation is a thing of the past. People are happy to do a job half way, and they feel that you are lucky if they do it at all. So in our current society, how can we get past all these excuses, and find a way to motivate ourselves???
I was reading an article on self motivation tips, and I thought others might appreciate these tips also. So here it goes.
- Set Goals. The first and foremost of these self motivation tips is, of course, to have goals or dreams that we actually work towards. There should be something to make us get up and get out of the bed in the morning, right?What kind of goals?It is important to identify realistic and attainable goals that really inspire us, and get us moving.
These can be business, work, school or personal goals - short term or long term goals - it is something that you like, that you are working on right now, or planning to work on in near future.
Setting and pursuing goals is also a great way to find happiness in one's life.
- Breath Life into your Goals.Equally important self motivation tip is it to verbalize them (say them out loud enough for you to hear), talk about them with family or close friends or associates, and write them down (stick it where you can see everyday).In other words, breathe life into your goals, and make them as real as they can be, to you.
- Prioritize. If you have multiple goals, don't be overwhelmed. Can you pursue them together? You can have a business goal of making so many sales in the next six months, and an independent personal goal of finishing landscaping your yard this summer.On the other hand, if multiple goals demand your full attention, don't try to get them all done at once. Instead decide which one is your most important objective at the moment, prioritize, and put your focus on just one of those at a time.Prioritizing is also one of the commonly suggested stress prevention tips.
- Get it done NOW. Avoid procrastinating the tasks that you need to do, to achieve you what you want to achieve. Simply put - it is better done today, than tomorrow.Why?Again, to put it simply - because once you are done with a certain task, you don't have to do it tomorrow anymore! Tomorrow can be focused on something else, and that makes you that much closer to your goal.
What if what you are working on is not something you necessarily enjoy, but have to get it done anyway? Realize that procrastination still doesn't help. Because, the sooner you work on getting it done, the sooner you are done with it. There is no way out here.
Keep this in perspective, however. Don't procrastinate doesn't mean don't take a break! Don't procrastinate beginning your task, or keep moving with your task; but, by all means take a break as necessary. A little break every now and then, away from your work, is essential to keep your motivation levels right.
- Reward Yourself. Reward yourself on each significant step you take towards attaining your objectives. If your goal or dream is really long term, divide it into plenty of short term goals, which are easier to track. And reward yourself every time you successfully complete your mini-goal.What kind of reward?Well, little nothings here and there, a movie, a dinner, an outing, your favorite piece of cake, whatever it is that you really enjoy. No need to go all out here.
- Visualize.What about the times when you are bound to be a bit let down? We all do, every now and then, don't we?Visualize your "end product", spend a second imagining realizing your goal, whatever it is that you are working for, now. Make it real in your mind. Enjoy the feeling. Savor it. You will know that you need to keep doing what you are doing now, to get there soon enough.If this is one of those things you just need to get done, you can still use the visualizing technique in that circumstance too. What would happen if you don't do it? Spend a second on the worst case scenario, and that might help get you on feet as well.
If you hit a stumbling block? It's part of the design. You will make mistakes along the way. Be patient, and work your way around it. Learning from mistakes and moving forward is how we end up gaining self confidence.
The more the mistakes, chances are, the closer you are to the success you want.
Stay healthy. Eat well - healthy eating is fun. Exercise. Sleep well - with good, positive thoughts in your mind - before you lie down. A regular, consistent routine with these good habits, adds up to your overall levels of motivation, and makes rest of the self motivation tips work better for you.
If you take care of your body & keep your mind stimulated it will do wonders for your own self-motivation.